New legal provisions provide the possibility for those who pursue investment activities in Portugal to apply for a Residence Permit, for example, those who transfer capital, create jobs or acquire Real Estate.
The holders of a Golden Residence Permit for the purposes of investment activity have the right to family regrouping, and may gain access to a permanent residence permit, as well as to Portuguese citizenship in accordance with the current legal provisions.
Who may apply?
Citizens involved in an investment activity, either individually or through a company conducting, at least, one of the following operations in the Portuguese territory, for a minimum period of 5 (five) years:
- Acquisition of Real Estate with a value equal to or above 500 thousand euros;
- Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 1 million euros;
- Creation of, at least, 10 job positions.
It covers shareholders of companies already set up in Portugal, or in another EU State, with a stable residence in Portugal and with tax obligations fulfilled.
Requirements on the investment activity
Performing an investment activity for a minimum period of 5 (five) years, attested by a bona fide declaration signed by the applicant.
1) Acquisition of Real Estate with a value equal or above 500 thousand euros.
- Provide evidence of giving the ownership of Real Estate Property.
- Public deed or promissory share-purchase agreement of the property, with a declaration of an authorized financial institution to exercise its activity in Portugal stating the effective transfer of capital to stating the effective transfer of capital to its acquisition or to execute as a down payment of the promise to purchase in equal or superior value of 500 thousand euros and;
- An up-to-date certificate issued by the Real Estate Registry, which must always be, in the case of contract-promise and where legally feasible, the respective register.
2) Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 1 million Euros
- Provide evidence of having invested the minimum amount required, including stocks or shares of companies.
- Declaration of a financial institution authorized to exercise its activity in Portugal certifying: the effective transfer of capital in amount of not less than €1 million euros, to an account demonstrating the investor is the sole or first holder of capital; or de acquisition of stocks or shares of companies, and;
- An up-to-date certificate issued by the Commercial Register, certifying that the applicant holds a share in the capital of a company.
3) Creation of, at least, 10 job positions
- Provide evidence of having created 10 job positions and registered the employers in the Social Security.
- An up-to-date certificate issued by the Social Security.
Minimum permanent residency periods
For residence permit renewal purposes, applicants under paragraph 2 may be asked to deliver evidence that they complied with the following minimum periods of permanence in National Territory:
- 7 days, consecutive or otherwise, in the 1st year;
- 14 days, consecutive or otherwise, in the subsequent two year periods.
The holders of Golden Residence Permits for Investment Activity have the right to family regrouping, and may gain access to a permanent residence permit, as well as to Portuguese citizenship in accordance to the current legal provisions.
- Passport or another valid travelling document;
- Proof of legal entry and permanence in national territory;
- Proof of health insurance;
- Signed application enabling consultation of the Portuguese Criminal Record by SEF;
- Criminal Record Certificate from the relevant authority of the applicant’s home country or from any other country where he/she resided for over a year;
- As means of evidence of compliance with tax obligations, the applicant shall deliver a declaration proving the absence of debts issued by the Inland Revenue and Customs Authority and by the Social Security
Other requirements under general law
- Applicants must not have been convicted of a crime punishable with deprivation of liberty exceeding one year;
- Applicants must not be subject of an entry ban in national territory following a removal order from the country;
- Applicants must not be subject of alerts in the Schengen Information System;
- Applicants must not be subject of alerts in SEF’s Information Integrated System issued for purposes of non-admission